The 21st deMon Developers Workshop will take place at the Biogeoscience Institute, Kananaskis Field Station, University of Calgary ecosystem research facility located at the edge of the Canadian Rockies, about 45 minutes west of Calgary by Highway 40. There will be no registration fees and accommodation and meals at the Field Station are also covered. A workshop dinner will be held in Banff, with costs covered as well.
Scientific discussions will start on Thursday, October 13th, 2022, after dinner and finish on Monday morning, October 17th, with an early morning wrap-up session in order to accommodate return travel plans.
Abstract submission: September 15th, 2022
Registration and accommodation: September 15th, 2022
To reach the Kananaskis Field Station, participants coming from outside Canada need to fly to Calgary airport (YYC) and from there, there are several options.
IMPORTANT: Inform organizers about your arrival and departure time to YYC, including the name of the carrier and the flight number.
Finally, let us also know your preferred option for the YYC -> the Field Station portion of the travel:
- Drive to the field station, about 1 hour driving from YYC by the Trans-Canada highway. Uber and taxi do not provide service in this area! Several rental car companies are available at YYC airport (e.g. Enterprise, AVIS, Budget).
2. Participants that don’t plan to rent/drive a car should book Brewster bus service from Calgary airport to Stoney Nakoda Resort (located 9km from the field station) in advance at https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/brewster-express. Let the organizers know about your planned time of arrival. There is a Tim Horton’s coffee house (with free wifi) and a small shop in this rest area. Please call either of the numbers below to arrange your pick up if you don’t meet any organizer at the bus stop. For the departure on 17th October we will arrange a driver for you to get back to Stoney Nakoda Resort.
Jiri Hostas +1 403-605-7523 ; Dennis Salahub +1 403-629-2425 ; Mosayeb Naseri +1 403-606-9115
Brewster schedule for 13th October (YYC airport-> Stoney Nakoda Resort) and 17th October (Stoney Nakoda Resort -> YYC airport)
Brewster schedule for 13th October (Delta hotel Calgary Downtown-> Stoney Nakoda Resort) and 17th October (Stoney Nakoda Resort -> airport YYC)
Attendees will be accommodated at the Kananaskis Field Station, also known as Barrier Lake Field Station. There will be no registration and accommodation fees with three meals per day included. Please inform organizers regarding any dietary restrictions.
Field station website: https://research.ucalgary.ca/biogeoscience-institute
Phone: (403) 220-5355
Useful external links
- Calgary airport hotel guide: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/gdes/uicalgary-airport-guide.htm
- For those who need a hotel near to the University of Calgary Campus, there are several near the Banff Trail C-train station and about a 20-minute walk to campus: https://aloftcalgaryuniversity.reservationstays.com/
- For participants on tight budget one possibility is the Calgary City Centre hostel. It’s web site is at: http://www.hihostels.ca/hostels/Alberta/SouthernAlbertaRegion/HI-CalgaryCityCentre/Hostels/index.html
- Dept. of chemistry, University of Calgary: www.chem.ucalgary.ca
- Calgary public transport: https://www.calgarytransit.com/home.html or use google maps for bus/Ctrain schedules
- Kananaskis weather network https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/alberta/kananaskis
- Calgary weather network https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/alberta/calgary
- Calgary airport weather (airport, 1084m a.s.l.) https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html
- Bow Valley provincial park (1318m a.s.l.) https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-42_metric_e.html
- Kananaskis Nakiska ridge top (2543m a.s.l.) https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-34_metric_e.html
Drumheller/Badlands/Royal Tyrrell Museum
Kananaskis Nordic Spa (20km from the field station, https://knordicspa.com)
- Barrier lake trail (easy/moderate, 7km, 200m elevation gain), alltrails, trail conditions
- Yates Mountain via Prairie view (moderate/hard, 12km, 700m elevation gain), alltrails, thorough description, trail conditions
- Calgary Tower
- Heritage park historical village
- Studio Bell (music history museum)
COVID-19 (To update close to the event)
Be aware that vaccination restrictions might be in place to enter in Canada. Please carefully check travel restrictions and regulations when planning your visit.